Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yogurt-y Lemon-y Mini Loaf Cakes




Knowing I have drawn you in just with the title,
do I even need the picture?

This was one of those little baking experiments that worked a treat.
A moist dense little yogurt-y cake, full of tart lemon-y-ness and just enough sweetness.  It is like mud cake meets lemon delicious!

Want to make some too?

Well, start by juicing up a few lemons and grating the rind.  I use a microplane for grating rind - how I ever got by before buying one is a mystery to me.
You will need a few teaspoons of rind and 1/4 cup of lemon juice.

Now, melt 200gms butter (in the microwave is fine) then add in 2 whole eggs, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup full fat cream enhanced greek yogurt (by the way, addition of yogurt by no means makes these healthy, but it does make them super moist), your 1/4 cup of lemon juice and your rind.  Beat all this up together with an electric mixer.

By the way, I reallllllly want one of these, but I am unlikely to find one in an op shop am I?


Anyway, I digress.  So once this is all mixed up, then tip in 2 cups of plain flour and 2 teaspoons of baking powder and mix it on medium high for about 5 min.

Try really hard not to lick too much batter and pour into 12 mini loaf tins
(muffin or friand tins would also be fine) and bake in a moderate oven for about 15-20 min.

While they are cooling, make a simple lemon icing with 1 cup of  siftied icing sugar and a tablespoon of lemon juice.  Spoon over your cakes as soon as they are cooled.

Delectible with a cup of tea, preferably served on a vintage tea plate, thank you very much.

Enjoy!

Trace xx

7 comments:

  1. Num num num NUM! Raided the neighbour's lemon tree again yesterday and I'm a bit over lemon curd after about 4 batches, so this is a good one to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New lemon recipe - fantastic, thanks! I am going to try lemon curd as well as embarrassingly I didn't really know what it was until I was lucky enough to taste some of Gina's (previous post) in a lemon meringue pie!
    I actually sold at least 50 lemons today at my little stall, but thankfully still more on the tree. I love my lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This cake looks sensational. My mouth is watering just reading the recipe. I will give it a whirl. (And I have a sensational apple green kitchen aid. Given to me as a very special gift by my husband. Totally worth the wait and I love, love, love it every time I use it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum....i'm glad you added the sweet photo! it's what I'm wanting to sinfully eat with my Sunday Morning Cup of Coffee!

    and the Kitchen Aid mixer! a must have....mine is white and i love,love,love,it!

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum and yum! I think I will have to give that recipe a go! Yes I too am coveting the kithenaid mixer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, sounds nice.
    here I am thinking I should make the family something but feeling a bit lazy. sounds very easy, I'll let you know if I find some motivation to make it.
    ..yep, how cool would that be, a kitchenaid at the oppie!
    thanks for sharing Tracey ♥

    ReplyDelete

Why hello there, thanks for commenting!